Sunday, September 30, 2007

Researching Hardware Photography.








So part of our assignment for class is to research studio shots that can help us creatively with our own shoots. This sounds lame but I really do believe that looking at other commercial shots can help when it comes time to doing it yourself. I'm always the dork at Applebees looking at their photos in the desert/drink menu. Thats right I look at the menu for the pictures. So in class when we were all told about the tear sheet assignment I said to myself "cool I like doing that anyway". That is until I started looking for images of hardware (tools) for our upcoming shoot on Monday. My god finding photos of hammers, which is what my group is doing, has to be the most painful research I've ever done for a photo shoot. You'd think that there are tons of images of hammers all nicely lit, selective focus, perfect reflections but NO, None. This isn't to say they don't exist but my God where are they?! Is there some super hardware magazine that only exists in some underground tool world? Sorry for the rant but the only images I could find were plain shots with a white background or an old picture of MC Hammer, or some band named hammer or images of a new video game called hammer or. . . . you get the idea. Even Home Depot and Lowes have ebay style images. I guess it just comes down to the fact that people shopping for tools don't need any pretty glossy imagery to sell a tool, especially a hammer. Below are some of the great images out there of hammers, my favorite one is of a hammer thats been in outer space! Woooooooo.

No comments: